Information

Company Overview

The Toyota Physical and Chemical Research Institute (Incorporated Foundation) was established in September, 1940 in Shibaura, Minato Ward, Tokyo by Kiichiro Toyoda, the founder of Toyota Motor Corporation and the eldest son of Sakichi Toyoda who invented the automatic loom.


The purpose of this establishment was to promote and develop independent science and technology in Japan and to contribute to the development of science and industry.


This institute produced numerous research achievements including the formula for large crystallization of Rochelle salt, storage batteries and direction finders. Some of these reached the stage of acquiring patents and being manufactured into products. However, due to post-war inflation, it was inevitable that proprietary research activities were curtailed.


In 1961, in order to efficiently implement the purpose with limited financial resources, the office was moved to the Toyota Central R & D Labs in Nagoya and its main activities were changed to designated research and cultivation of researchers. The successes of this era include the practical application of semi-conductor strain-gauges.


The original purpose of foundation activities is continuing by launching "the research fellow project" in 2004 where research are conducted by full-time employed researchers and further, launching "specially promoted project" in 2006 as a new project.

This foundation has recently become a public interest incorporated foundation.